Wednesday 6 May 2015

Hebrews 6:9-12 - Staying on course

These verses show a change in tone of the author. Unlike his previous harsh and strong tones, he now softened. The word “beloved” that he used is an affectionate term. The pronoun “we” tells us that the conclusion was not his alone, there were others who felt the same way about the readers. Here, the writer underscored the fact that he thought the readers were truly believers, and that he and those with him were fully convinced of it. The word “convinced” indicates that his conclusion was a result of evaluating the evidences he saw in the lives of those believers. And from the evidences, he was confident that they would not turn away from the truth. And that they understood the impact of the dreadful consequences that he had explained to them, if they should fall away. Thus, he felt sure that they would attain their full salvation as opposed to the judgment he had described in the previous paragraph. The author appeared to be saying to the readers, “But you all are unlike those people I'd talked about. They didn’t seem to know the rudimentary principles of God and reject Christ. But you are unlike them. I know that even though I am speaking as if you are like them, but I am actually convinced that you are not. I am sure you are all believers.”

In verse 10, the author provided the reason for his assurance concerning those believers he was writing to. He told them they were serving a just God, Who had taken note of their commendable conducts as believers and had seen their love for His Name. From this verse, we can safely conclude that the Hebrews demonstrated their love for God through service to the saints. Hence, the author urged them to persevere in ministering to the saints. It is interesting to note that the author linked the trilogy of love (verse 10), hope (verse 11) and faith (verse 12) that occurred so often in the New Testament.

In verses 11-12, the author then proceeded to give the reason why he addressed the readers in such harsh tone earlier. He had a deep desire that each of his readers would show the due diligence to pursue the faith. The phrase, “to realize the full assurance of hope until the end” was the author’s desire for the readers. He longed that all of them would zealously pursue their salvation experience right through. The author was making a plea with the readers to press on by holding on to the hope that they had. Their aim should be to attain maturity, and not reverse to their previous route that would only lead to destruction. In verse 12, he called on them not to be sluggish, the opposite of being diligent. He was afraid that if they were sluggish, they might return to their previous faith and forfeit the promises God had made to believers. Thus, he urged them to emulate those who pursue the faith with great patience and so inherit God’s promises.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art;
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.


High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whate’er befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment