Thursday 9 April 2020

1 Samuel 28:15-19 – Take heart, God is in control

The questions we raised in our previous discussion were, did the Prophet Samuel really appear? How could a medium have such power to bring back someone from death? If it’s truly the Prophet Samuel, does it mean that necromancy, calling the dead up to speak to is allowed? Would God collaborate with a medium? To lay a platform for our discussion we must remember that God is true to Himself and will never deny Himself. The warnings He gave in the book of Leviticus shows how strongly He loathes the consultation of mediums or necromancers. In Leviticus 20:6 He affirms it, saying “If a person turns to mediums and necromancers, whoring after them, I will set my face against that person and will cut him off from among his people.” Then again He warned in Leviticus 20:27 saying, “A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.” We know that God will never approve of consulting a medium or a necromancer. Let it be reiterated that no matter how trying our circumstance may be, never seek direction by consulting a geomancer, a medium, horoscope or such. Every one of them is an abomination to the Lord.  

Repentance is the surest way to mend any broken relationship with God so that one can hear from Him again. When God keeps silent and we feel our spiritual vitality gone, the surest way back is His prescription found in David’s words in Psalm 32:5-7.

“I acknowledged my sin to You,
And my iniquity I did not hide;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”;
And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.
Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in  a time when You may be found;
Surely in a flood of great waters, they will not reach him.
You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble;
You surround me with songs of deliverance.” Selah

Was it really the Prophet Samuel who had appeared to Saul? Different answers had been given for this. Some said it was the medium’s hallucination. Others said it was a deceiving spirit or a demonic impersonation of Samuel. But the Bible made it unmistakably clear that it was truly Samuel. No way could the medium of En-dor summon for the prophet for she could not have such power. Hence, Samuel's appearance was not because of the medium’s power but a supernatural intervention of God. Like the appearance of Elijah and Moses with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, so also the Lord granted such an appearance of the Prophet.  

In this encounter, Samuel spoke first. His words must have greatly disturbed Saul. He asked  the dejected king, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” His response was, “I am greatly distressed; for the Philistines are waging war against me, and God has departed from me and no longer answers me, either through prophets or by dreams; therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I should do.” Saul admitted his desperation. He knew God had rejected him. He had already reached a point where he could not turn back. So Samuel’s response was simple. He asked, “Why then do you ask me, since the Lord has departed from you and has become your adversary?” What he said to Saul was devastation. He went on to pronounce his outcome with such finality. It was as if he was saying to Saul, “it’s too late, the tide cannot be reversed”. He reminded Saul what he had told him earlier. “The Lord has done accordingly as He spoke through me; for the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, to David. As you did not obey the Lord and did not execute His fierce wrath on Amalek, so the Lord has done this thing to you this day. Moreover, the Lord will also give over Israel along with you into the hands of the Philistines, therefore tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. Indeed the Lord will give over the army of Israel into the hands of the Philistines!

Our lives rest with God. He has a plan for us, but like Saul, we can choose to spurn His gracious and kind overtures toward us. Remember, keep fervently walking with the Lord, faithfully living in Him and devotedly obeying Him. These are factors that determine our destiny. When we choose to follow these proven paths, we know we will have His approval and blessing. As Pastor Charles Stanley so wisely said, “my responsibility is to be obedient to God and trust Him with the consequences.” Wise advice!



No comments:

Post a Comment