Saturday 15 January 2022

1 Kings 1:1-4 – Offer the best years of our life to God

The book of 1 Kings opens with David advanced in years and not at the peak of health. The once-great fighter was no longer the person that he was. To keep him warm they put additional clothes on him. His royal servants even suggested that a nurse be sought to keep him warm. And they found a Shunamite beauty, Abishag by name, to nurse him. Her role included lying with him to keep him warm. Verse 4 specifically said that David did not have intimate relations with her. If such a beautiful girl, lying in his bosom could not stir his desire for intimacy, it showed that David’s time was almost up. So the scene was reset to have someone replace him on the throne.    

In terms of health at old age, David was a marked contrast from Moses. In our reflection in the book of Deuteronomy, we learned that Moses at age 120 was still strong and robust and his eyesight was still keen and sharp. But here we are given of a much-weakened David. He could not withstand the cold despite having added clothes, and Abishag had to be sought to nurse and keep him warm.

What could be the reason for the difference? We know that they both had led very different lifestyles. In 2 Samuel, we saw how distracted David was with the tryst he had with Bathsheba. We saw how he needed to connive and scheme to cover up his sin after that. Though God had forgiven him, he still had to suffer the consequences of his sin. Moses on the other hand was more focused on serving God. He was not as distracted as David. In his life, we can only trace one occasion that he disobeyed God, by striking the rock twice at the water of Meribah. 

Whether we like it or not, like David, our bodies will decline with age. This has been men’s experience since the fall of Adam. The fact that our body will decline as we age is a clear call for us to heed the counsel of  Ecclesiastes 12:1. We are to “Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, ‘I have no pleasure in them….’”  As we pray, let us borrow some words from a hymn by Thomas Hill.

Lord, in the fullness of my might, I would for Thee be strong;
While runneth o’er each dear delight, to Thee should soar my song.
 
I would not  give the world my heart, and then  profess Thy love;
I would not feel my strength depart, and then Thy service prove.
 
I would not with swift-winged zeal, on the world’s errand run;
And labor up the heavenly him, with weary feet and slow.
 
O, not for Thee my weak desires, my poorer basal part!
O, not for Thee my fading fire, the ashes of my heart!
 
Accept me in my golden years, in my dear joy have part!
For Thee the glory of my prime, the fullness of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment