Thursday 24 June 2021

Numbers 23:1-12 – God’s Word is sure.

Numbers 22 closed with Balaam being brought to the high place of Baal and there he saw a portion of the people of Israel. Then in Numbers 23, we see the different occasions where Balak was instructed to get ready for Balaam to consult the Lord. Deceived, Balak probably thought that Balaam had come to curse the people of Israel for him. He had high hope that Balaam would be able to curse the Israelites so that he could then destroy them. Balak had paid extravagantly to secure the service of Balaam.

In verses 1-10, we see the first attempt made. Balak was told to build seven altars and prepare seven bulls and seven rams for the offering, which he did as instructed. Balaam then took the animals and offered up a bull and a ram on each of the seven altars. He then told Balak to stand next to his offering while he would go to another part of the hill to seek God. Notice how he framed his words to the king. What he said was “…perhaps the Lord will come to meet me, and whatever He shows me I will tell you.” The word “perhaps” speaks of uncertainty. He was certainly unlike Moses whom the Lord would speak face to face.  

 

According to verses 4-6, God met Balaam and was told that seven altars had been built, and on each altar was a bull and a ram offered. God then told Balaam what to pronounce. These were the words:

“From Aram Balak has brought me,
Moab’s king from the mountains of the East,
‘Come curse Jacob for me,
And come, denounce Israel!’
“How shall I curse whom God has not cursed?
And how can I denounce whom the Lord has not denounced?
“As I see him from the top of the rocks,
And I look at him from the hills;
Behold, a people who dwells apart,
And will not be reckoned among the nations.
“Who can count the dust of Jacob,
Or number the fourth part of Israel?
Let me die the death of the upright,
And let my end be like his!”

Balak of course, was shocked to hear Balaam’s words. For he did not do what the king had expected him to do. So he queried the seer asking, “What have you done to me? I took you to curse my enemies, but behold, you have actually blessed them!” Balaam’s reply was plain and simple. Those were the words the Lord had put in his mouth, and he could not speak otherwise. From the words God gave, we can see how true God had been to His people. He had made Israel a distinct people like no other nation ever existed. When these words were first told to Abraham, it must have seemed unbelievable. Yet the Lord brought them to pass. Yes, the promises of God are yes and amen in Christ Jesus. One heartening truth is this: God’s promise to us will never fail. God can be trusted. His promises always come to pass. Trust Him no matter what!    

No comments:

Post a Comment