Thursday 2 April 2015

2 Peter 1:12-15 – Never forget what’s important

aThere is this reality in life. We have the tendency to forget where we were and where God has brought us from. With time, people soon forget what took us from our past and made us progress to be the person that we are. Hence it is important to be reminded of the foundational block of our faith over and over again, and be reminded of what it took to bring us here.
Peter realized that what he had said to believers was so important that he felt it necessary to remind them periodically of the truth. This he did with the aim to help them remember the true teachings. His particular concern was to stir up the readers to develop personal holiness. So he told them that as long as he was still alive, he would continue to remind them. The two words, “earthly dwelling”, were used to described his physical body.

In verse 15, Peter was conscious of the fact that his death was imminent. Here, he even alluded to the kind of death the Lord Jesus Himself told him that he would had to undergo. He was also concerned that after his departure from them, he could leave behind a legacy as a permanent reminder to them.

There is a necessity to set aside time each day for a moment of solitude, reflection and some self-examination. The first step to change is self-awareness. We can never change when we don’t know where our flaws are. Hear the words of a song calling us to return to the basics:

The things that I love and hold dear to my heart
Are just borrowed, they’re not mine at all
Jesus only let me use them to brighten my life
So remind me, remind me dear Lord.

Roll back the curtain every now and then
Show me where you’d brought me from
And where I would have been
Remember I’m human and human forgets

So remind me, remind me dear Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment