Monday 8 March 2021

Isaiah 59:9-15a – Self-awareness, the first step to restoration

In Isaiah 58 and the earlier verses of Isaiah 59, God had known what was preventing His people from getting a breakthrough in their circumstances. He told them it was their sins and wrongdoings, their social injustice, their swiftness to shed innocent blood, and, etc. With all that they had done, they shouldn’t have to wonder why their connection with God was broken. Now for the barrier to be broken down, there must be an honest appraisal of one’s life and a sincere acknowledgment of sin before God. Only then can the intervention of God be expected, and His deliverance is experienced.   

So here in Isaiah 59:9-15a, we see an honest appraisal of their condition and a realization of how far they were from what God had installed for them. For people who once had a relationship with the Lord, it was sheer misery to be separated and isolated from Him. Their miseries were described as people groping in darkness. Instead of light they experienced darkness and had to grope in the darkness like blind people without sight. Furthermore, they felt as if they were sapped of life among those who were healthy. And like hungry bears, they growled for food and they would moan like doves mourning for their mates. They yearned for justice, but it simply illuded them. The salvation they hoped for seemed millions of miles away.

In desperation, they honestly confessed their sins. They saw how far they had transgressed and were going on a downward spiral. They acknowledged how far they had departed from the Lord. Admitting their misery, they confessed their unfaithfulness. They even acknowledged their distorted speech and conversation. Their speeches were full of oppression and lies from their heart. And the truth was far from them. Then they also conceded to practice social injustice. They realized that in what they had done they had walked into their own trap and became the prey of their own making.

 Before we can have a breakthrough and experience the liberty of a forgiven life and be reconciled to God, there must be first a realization of our missteps. If we would not acknowledge our wrong, sin and its consequence will always be lurking around like a shadow. The only experience would be the misery of a life unrestored and unfulfilled. 

Here’s what King David had experienced, and what we should do in Psalm 32.


First his experience in Psalm 32:3-5:
When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away
Through my groaning all day long.
For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me;
My vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer. 
I acknowledged my sin to You,
And my iniquity I did not hide;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord”;
And You forgave the guilt of my sin. 


Then his proposal and restoration in Psalm 32: 6-7:
Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found;
Surely in a flood of great waters, they will not reach him.
You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble;
You surround me with songs of deliverance. 

Let’s pause, confess our fault if any, and experience a relationship restored with God!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment