Thursday 25 October 2018

Joshua 3:5-6 – Living a consecrated life

The people of Israel had waited three days at the bank of Jordan. They were prepared by the officers who went among them and commanded them what they must do. When the people were ready, Joshua then called upon them to consecrate themselves. The words consecration, sanctification and holy, come from the same root word that means to be set apart.  Joshua was in effect calling on them to set themselves apart for God. If God is to do great things in our life, He requires a consecrated vessel. Consecration is the key to unleash effectiveness into our life.  

Setting oneself apart for God’s service is the moral responsibility of all disciples. The call to consecrate oneself is a call to cleanse and dedicate one’s life to the Lord. It is a summon for us to prepare ourselves by prayer and meditation. Consecration begins with our volition. For without a firm decision, there will be no follow-up action. It’s an act that requires us to live an uncluttered life, so as not to be needlessly distracted by the attraction of the world. If we are to experience the work of God, we need to live a consecrated life. Every one of us can be a candidate for greatness when we choose to live a life set apart for the glory of God.

Notice how positive Joshua was. He had no doubt whatsoever in his mind that God would perform what He had promised. Positive faith is needed if we are to inspire others to act. We speak and act with full conviction when our trust in God is unadulterated. We enthuse and stir confidence in others when we unwaveringly trust the Lord. This was what Joshua did. Sensing that the moment had arrived, Joshua then commanded the priests saying, “Take up the ark of the covenant and cross over ahead of the people.” And the priest acted with obedience and “took up the ark of the covenant and went ahead of the people.”

The priest had to take the lead carrying the Ark, the visual representation of God. They acted in good faith and took the first step. There was absolutely no doubt in them concerning what God had promised. Today, like the priests, we are bearers of the Christ. He is the Ark of God we are bearing. And as priests of Christ, we must set the godly examples for others to emulate. If we will not bear the marks of Christ in our life, we cannot expect others to be inspired. He has called us to live a self-denying life, to take up our own cross and emulate Him, and in so doing we become a candidate for greatness.  

May our prayers echo the words of Frances R. Havergal, who said:

Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days, let them flow in endless praise.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice and let me sing, always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold, not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will and make it Thine, it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own, it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.
Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Thank you so much, Pastor Clarence. That is my prayer of consecration unto the Lord too. It is a prayer & a reminder to me. It is good to pray this prayer often. We are forgetful people.😌

    ReplyDelete