Wednesday 1 June 2016

Luke 12:35-40 – Be alert and actively serve God now

Jesus was still on His journey toward Jerusalem. He not only hinted about His departure but also His return afterward. Here in Luke 12:35-49, He is not only telling His earthly disciples to stay ready, He is also telling us what we ought to do while awaiting His return. Telling two parables He urged the disciples, and us today, to be vigilant and alert. Servants who anticipate their master's return keep themselves ready to serve. They would be dressed in working clothing with the lamp lit. They don't put on pyjamas, put out the lamp and go to bed. They are dressed to serve.

Being alert they could open the door immediately when the master knocks on it at his return. And being readily dressed, they could then serve him. But instead, The Lord talked about the servants being served by the master on his return in verse 37. This anticipates the blessings His people, who are ready and vigilant, will receive at His coming. What a blessing that would be!

In verses 39-40, using another parable, The Lord provides the reason why as stewards of His, we should stay alert and be ready. It's because we don't know the hour He would return. Illustrating, He said that if the steward knew the hour a thief would break-in, he would not let the house be broken-into. In the same way if the disciples stay alert, the hour of the Lord's coming would not take them by surprise. He said we don't really know when He is coming, so stay alert.

The title "head of the household" is referring to the chief steward of a household. The one who manages the house of a master. In much the same way we are stewards of His Kingdom. We invest our resources in the work of the Kingdom. We give our time, talent and finances to serve Him.

We are living in a time that is near to the soon coming of the Lord. Be conscious that we are stewards of His household, the church. So let's stay ready and alert! What and how we spend our time are clear indicators of our watchfulness. So stay watchful and serve Him actively.

Thomas H. Gill inspiringly said:

Lord, in the fullness of my might, I would for Thee be strong:
While runneth o’er each dear delight, to Thee should soar my song.

I would not give the world my heart, and then profess Thy love;
I would not feel my strength depart, and then Thy service prove.

I would not with swift wingèd zeal, on the world’s errands go,
And labor up the heavenly hill with weary feet and slow.

O not for Thee my weak desires, my poorer, baser part!
O not for Thee my fading fires, the ashes of my heart!

O choose me in my golden time: in my clear joys have part!
For Thee the glory of my prime, the fullness of my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment