Monday 5 June 2023

Jeremiah 30:18-24 – Jesus, our wonderful King, and Priest

In Jeremiah 30:18-20,  God made the promise to restore Judah and Jerusalem. He promised to restore the fortune of the nation and to rebuild the city. From the ruin, God would rebuild Jerusalem and restore the nation’s power and prosperity. Once again thanksgiving would be offered to Him, and celebration be heard in the street again. The population would also increase to replace those who were slaughtered in the judgment. Furthermore, honor and significance would be reinstated to them as well.  

Verses 21-22 speak of a leader who would hail from among them and be identified with them. The description here refers to the priest drawing near and approaching God’s presence in the Holy of Holies.  As king and priest, our Lord Jesus Christ has the qualification to approach God on our behalf. He has made us a people belonging to God.

   

However, before all this happened God had to deal with His wayward people. He sent Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonians upon them to deal with them. Verses 23-24 describe God’s discipline as a tempest or a whirlwind. Both these terms speak of a violent stormy wind that would leave a trail of destruction behind it. The wrath of God went forth because of His hatred for sin and His dealing which began at the very root of wickedness would not stop until He had accomplished the purpose and intention of His heart. While in the storm His bewildered people would have no clue but eventually, they would understand why God had to do what He had done.

 

We thank God for Christ Jesus our king and priest. By Him and through Him we now have access to God’s presence.  Hear and be inspired and encouraged by the words that John Newton: 

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer’s ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole
And calms the troubled breast;
’Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary, rest.

Dear Name! the Rock on which I build,
My Shield and Hiding Place,
My never-failing Treas’ry filled
With boundless stores of grace!

Jesus! my Shepherd, Husband, Friend,
My Prophet, Priest, and King;
My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
Accept the praise I bring.

Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see Thee as Thou art,
I’ll praise Thee as I ought.

Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath,
And may the music of Thy name
Refresh my soul in death.

 

 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment