Saturday 21 October 2017

Genesis 33:12-17 – Sticking to God’s direction in our walk with Him

Having reconciled and restitution made, Jacob could now move on. Esau offered to lead Jacob and his band to Seir, their home. Jacob declined the generous offer. For that was not where God had promised him at Bethel. God told him in Genesis 28:15 that He would bring him back to the land, the Promised Land. In his decline we see a bit of the old Jacob again. He exaggerated to get out of the situation. In verses 13 and 14 he said, “My lord knows that the children are frail and that the flocks and herds which are nursing are a care to me. And if they are driven hard one day, all the flocks will die. Please let my lord pass on before his servant, and I will proceed at my leisure, according to the pace of the cattle that are before me and according to the pace of the children, until I come to my lord at Seir.” Of course he had no intention to do that. Esau could have sensed his intention but did not want to pursue the matter.  

Why did he do that? Why did he lie and give this lame excuse for the generous offer made by Esau? Remember he was both Jacob and Israel. The old nature was still operating in the new. Like him, after being born again, we too find the new nature in Christ will conflict with the old nature we got from Adam. In Romans 7:21-24, Paul described it this way saying, “I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?” Perhaps the situation with Jacob’s two natures was like this. The Israel in him should have told the truth, but the Jacob in him rationalized. So he thought to himself, “I am sure one day I might go to Seir, so let me just make up an excuse for why I don’t need him to go with me.” So he exaggerated.  

The episode with Esau would soon come to a close. He parted way with Jacob and went off with his 400 men and the good-will gifts given by his brother. The two would only meet again briefly at the father’s funeral in Genesis 35:29. The last we read of Esau was in the genealogies given in Genesis 36. Meanwhile, Jacob did not just cross the Jordan River into the Promised Land or to Bethel. Instead he travelled down south to Succoth and there he built a house and made booths for his livestock. He named that place where he stopped Succoth meaning “stalls” or “booths.” This perhaps was to make use of the fertile valley there to replenish the remaining stock he had. Remember, he had given some 500 of them to make restitution with Esau, his brother. Going to Succoth actually contravened God’s direction. He was supposed to go to Bethel. It was indeed a step backward in his journey with God. He was still a man who at times would do things according to what he desired. Going to Succoth would exact a huge price from him and his family. He would have to pay dearly for this wrong turn in his journey. Like him we also do create setbacks for ourselves, by not moving in tandem with God’s plan for our life. It behoves us to stay connected, listen carefully, and act wisely to avoid needless meanders in our spiritual voyage to where God intents us to be.           

No comments:

Post a Comment