Thursday 30 June 2022

2 Kings 8:1-6 – Divine providence

Second Kings 4:8-37 gave us the account of how Elisha ministered to a prominent barren woman in Shunem who was very hospitable toward him. This man of God not only predicted the birth of her son but also restored him to life after he had died of a serious headache. Now in 2 Kings 8:1-6, Elisha once again helped that woman. He warned her of a seven-year famine that the LORD was about to send to the land. Having been warned, she relocated and stayed in Philistia. As Elisha had said the famine hit the land. While she was spared suffering, she had to vacate her property. There is no mention of her husband here. We supposed that he must have died. When she left, her vacant property was probably possessed by the authority. When she returned after the famine was over, verse 4 tells us that she went to the king to reclaim her property.

As providence would have it, the king was having a conversation with Gehazi, Elisha’s servant, inquiring about the miracles that his master had done. It so happened that as Gehazi was narrating how Elisha had restored the dead son of a woman, she appeared. She came to appeal to the king for the return of her property. The timing could not be more exact. Many would have said that it was just a coincidence. But we know that for God’s people, there is no coincidence. There is only divine providence. Romans 8:28 says “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” God is always on time. Seizing the opportunity, Gehazi quickly pointed her to the king. “My lord, O king, this is the woman, and this is her son, whom Elisha restored to life.” What timing! What a timely introduction! Turning to her immediately, the king asked the woman about her concerns thus giving her the opportunity to explain her situation. The king then turned to an officer and instructed him to “Restore all that was hers and all the produce of the field from the day that she left the land even until now.”

What is God saying to us through in this passage? Nothing happens to us outside of God’s will for our lives! An account like this tells us that our lives are in God’s wonderful hands. There is no coincidence in the life of believers, only divine opportunity to help us progress in the Lord. We take heart knowing that our lives are in God’s good hand. Here are the lyrics of a song to encourage us to draw near to God, and walk with Him no matter what may happen in our lives.

I have a maker,
He formed my heart.  
Before even time began,
My life was in His hands.
 
He knows my name,
He knows my every thought.
He sees each tear that falls,
And hears me when I call.
 
I have a Father,
He calls me His own.
He’ll never leave me,
No matter where I go.
 
He knows my name,
He knows my every thought.
He sees each tear that falls,
And hears me when I call.

No comments:

Post a Comment